Simple Tooth Extractions Brisbane

Simple extractions can involve the removal of teeth which do not require special surgical attention.

This procedure is perfect if you have a decayed tooth that needs removing, require orthodontic extractions  or if your wisdom teeth are growing in impacted. It is common for most people to require at least one extraction during their life, and most can be performed with the use of local anaesthetic, without the need for general.

Simple Wisdom Tooth Extraction

Wisdom teeth are your last teeth to emerge and tend to come through between the ages of 17 and 25, although 11% of the population never develops wisdom teeth at all. The remaining 89% may have as few as one or as many as four. For some people they erupt without any problems the same as all other teeth, but for others they can create a range of complications.

The main problem with wisdom teeth is when they become impacted. This means they have developed at an angle and will not emerge straight and only partially come through your gum-line. The tooth will also most likely be growing towards your other healthy teeth at the back of the mouth. This is dangerous as the underside of your teeth is not protected by enamel which means this impacted tooth could collide with your dental pulp (nerves) resulting in pain and the destruction of a tooth. However, not all impacted wisdom teeth will cause pain alerting you to the problem; this is why we recommend x-rays in your late teens and early twenties so that we can detect any problems with the development of your wisdom teeth.

It is estimated over 80% of wisdom teeth need to be removed

It is not possible to predict if or when your wisdom teeth will cause problems, although it is highly advised to remove them earlier rather than later. Even wisdom teeth which are going straight can regularly cause problems later in life, which is why the removal of four wisdom teeth is generally recommended unless they develop fully with no problems or pain. If you do remove your wisdom teeth later in life it can be more difficult as it takes a longer amount of time to heal.

Post procedural care for extractions

Recovery will generally take a few days for most people. You may experience some slight post-operative swelling and mild discomfort. Over the counter pain relief medication is often all that is required to relieve your discomfort. Stronger medication can be prescribed if needed. A soft food diet is also recommended for several days.

Here at Refresh Dental Spa in Brisbane we take the utmost care to ensure that you are comfortable throughout your treatment. If we can do anything to make you more comfortable or if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask us during your appointment.

Make an Appointment
at Refresh Dental Spa

Call us on
(07) 3221 2292

or

Call now
Professional Dental Clinic
April 19, 2014
5/5 stars
Refresh Dental are highly professional, and present as caring people who know how to make the experience as pleasant as possible.